5.19.2011

The art of saying, "no".

Lately I have been making some inner life-changes. I have had some major eye-opening moments. The combination of being in ministry with 2 children, ages 2 and under, has overflown my life. When I say, "overflown" I mean- in the most wonderful way, my life is- well, is there such a thing as a life that is "too full"?

I have always heard that when a family is in ministry together, your family MUST come first and ministry second or it will destroy both your ministry and your family in the end.

For as long as I can remember, I have made it a point to try to say yes to everyone and do most everything that is presented to me. After all, that is ministry right? ... I would have slapped anyone's paw who really claimed to think this way! What I didn't realize until very recently is that this has been my take on life as a pastor's family without ever realizing it. To be at everything. To volunteer for everything. To say yes to every invitation. To be available to people 24-7. I have been a whirlwind at home with trying to stay on top of my house, raise my children, serve my husband and find balance with friendships and my ministry.

Recently I had a good cry over a cup of tea to my husband... this is where it all came to a head. After pouring my heart out to him and sharing my frustrations with feeling so out of control of my life- he in his simple wisdom, replied- "Sarah, just live ONE day how you want live your life everyday." I have not been able to stop thinking about that. What do I want my life to look like each day? What are my priorities? What is important to me?

I vision my life to be one of balance- thriving with a combination of routine and spontaneity. Putting my family first, but also taking time for myself. Pouring into the Word and taking time to meditate on Him. Taking time to exercise and eat a wholesome diet- and not look at it as a chore. NOT spreading myself so thin that the quality of my friendships to others is diluted.

It took some major battling of my mind, but now that I have submitted to the Lord in this prompting of the Spirit, I am at a more serene and peaceful place. I am learning the very difficult task of saying, "no".

pardon me if lately you havent gotten your usual facebook comments and "like"'s from me. these days im takin a lil ol facebook break.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Sarah the leaps and bounds you are growing in the Lord and in your role as a wife and mom fills my heart. Your honesty and sincere heart to be the woman God desires you to be is to be commended. I love the simplicity of your words and how you share what God is speaking to your heart. You are a wonderful woman, Sarah, and God is molding and shaping you into who He desires you to be. I love you! Thank you for being so transparent!
Gina

domestic::chic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah Elinor said...

Thank you Gina! It's been a long time comin, but I know this chapter of life is ready for my full undivided attention. Thank you for your support and being there for me, Gina <3

goldmorning said...

you deserve a getaway! what a beautiful view.
happy to see you enjoying your family and having some vacation time.

love and miss you
beulah

goldmorning said...

did i comment in the wrong space here? haha! I just read this post of yours and wanted to comment then saw that one ^^ I meant to leave that on your other vacation post.

Anyway, just saw this one. Wanted to say love and miss you! xo