5.09.2010

aspiration.


I have always been an individual who likes to learn things the hard way. I can remember all through the years thinking I really knew what I was doing in every decision I had made. If mom told me it would hurt if I banged my head on a brick wall, I would try it anyway to find out for myself. My mother would advise me of her thoughts on many of the decisions I was faced with and yet I would still do my own thing- never willing to put my pride aside to tell her she was right in the end. She has always been an amazing woman in my life whose insight I have come to realize I can trust even when I don't always see it her way. She has always been my cheerleader, my confidant, a woman I can go to when i need to just have a "feelings" conversation and get it all out. She is a mentor to me that I respect immensely. I have come to a place in life now that I am a mother, where the light has turned on and Im sure it will only get brighter as the years go on and I grow old with my children. I can say- "Mom, you were right. And those lessons you tried to teach me- that you thought went in one ear and out the other- really did stick with me and have slowly revealed themselves to me over time, and Im sure will continue to do so through the years.
I will never forget chatting with one of her very best friends, Diane, one day when I was 13 years old and I will never forget what she said. She said, " I believe with all my heart that your mother is an angel sent to this earth from God himself" That day forward I don't think I have ever quite respected or held my mom at the place in my heart that I do now. Not only did it give me a great sense of pride in her, but also spurred me on as someone to look up to and aspire to be like in my own life. Mom, This day is created in my book ESPECIALLY for you. You are THE kindest, most caring and loving woman I have ever known. I am so proud to have you as my mom.

This verse is traditionally used in weddings, but I truly do think of my mother when I read these words...

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:4-8

1 comment:

cissyk said...

Sarah,
My precious daughter. I read your beautiful, sweet, kind words (balm for my soul) through tears of joy. What a blessing you are to me, and have been throught your life. God has now granted you the wonderful & miraculous privilege of becoming a mother yourself, and oh what a wonderful adventure it is; full of blessings, treasures, & oh so many surprises! Luke 12:34 says where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Beside the Lord, this mother's treasure is her children; & I've got gold with you my angel. You are my precious, beautiful jewel without price, and I love you.
Mom